Lagonda LG6 Drophead Coupe
In the summer of 1935, W.O. Bentley left Rolls-Royce and joined Lagonda as Technical Director. He quickly worked his magic on the 4½-Litre with great effect, gradually shifting the marque’s design emphasis to the high-performance luxury-car class. The LG45 was far more refined than its predecessors were, and by 1937/1938, the 4½-Litre reached its development peak. The LG6 and its stable-mate, the Lagonda V12, launched at the London Motor Show and entered production in early 1938. With elegant Frank Feeley-designed bodies, independent front suspension and 100 mph top-speed potential, the LG6 attracted great acclaim. According to The Motor, “Such performance is rendered usable by a superb suspension system…In town there is all the softness of the town carriage, but a flick of the steering-wheel shock-absorber control enables the car to be driven round corners at really high speeds in the manner of a thoroughbred sports model.”
Just 63 Lagonda LG6s were built between 1937 and 1939, and only about 50 are known to exist today. About half of the production total is believed to have been Drophead Coupés, rendering this car an extremely rare example of these sophisticated pre-war English sporting tourers.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in August 2009 at the Portola Hotel & Spa and Monterey Conference Center, Monterey, California and in June of 2011 at the Syon House, London.
140 bhp, 4,453 cc inline six-cylinder engine, dual SU carburetors, four-speed manual gearbox, independent front suspension with torsion bar and wishbone front suspension, semi-elliptic leaf-spring rear suspension mounted outside frame, and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes with dual master cylinders. Wheelbase: 127.5".
Source: RM Auctions