Lagonda 3-Liter Tourer
One of the truly great pre-war marquees, Lagonda actually had rather humble beginnings, starting its operation in the greenhouse of Wilbur Gunn’s home in Staines, Middlesex. The company was soon manufacturing motorcycles and two-cylinder tricycles, eventually leading to the construction of the first Lagonda motor car. The 10-horsepower car was followed by a 16/18-horsepower vehicle, which raced at Brooklands in 1909 and won the 1910 Moscow to St. Petersburg Reliability Trial, a feat that resulted in many export orders. A 20-horsepower model was next, and in 1910, a six-cylinder, 30-horsepower car was produced in large numbers, with Czarist Russia becoming Lagonda’s biggest market.
An innovative 1,100-cc “Light Car” followed in 1913, which became known post-war as the 11.9 and then as the 12/24. Wilbur Gunn died in 1919, but Lagonda continued to thrive. Two-litre and three-litre models followed, which built on the car’s sporting reputation.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in June of 2011 at the Syon House, London and in January of 2012 at the Arizona Biltmore Resort & Spa, Phoenix, Arizona.
79 bhp, 3,181 cc inline six-cylinder overhead valve engine, four-speed manual transmission, semi-elliptic leaf springs front and rear, four-wheel drum brakes.
Source: RM Auctions