Aston Martin DB4 Series V Vantage
The DB4, introduced at the London Motor Show in 1958, immediately drew a large amount of interest from the motoring public, as it was to mark a major step in the evolution of the Aston Martin name.
Designed by a highly dedicated team consisting of the general manager, John Wyer, chassis engineer Harold Beach and engine designer Tadek Marek, the DB4 elevated the firm to the forefront of the great grand tourers. Top speed of these cars was advertised at some 140 mph with a zero-to-60 time of about nine seconds, making the DB4 one of the fastest tourers of its time. The DB4 was the first Aston Martin to use the platform frame upon which the body was constructed using square tubular members.
It remains one the most elegant Aston Martins ever built and will long be remembered as the basis of the superb Aston Martin DB4 GT Zagato models that command unrivaled respect in today’s classic car market.
This Aston Martin DB4 is one of only 95 Series V Vantage Coupés ever produced and comes equipped with its correct SS-specification engine, which includes triple SU carburetors and some minor internal differences.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in October of 2010 at the Battersea Evolution, London.
354 bhp (upgraded), 4,170 cc six-cylinder twin overhead camshaft all-alloy engine, three Weber carburetors, single dry-plate clutch, four-speed gearbox with overdrive, front transverse wishbone suspension, rear coil spring suspension and four wheel disc brakes. Wheelbase: 98"
Source: RM Auctions
Photo Credit: Copyright Benson Chiu