Rolls-Royce Phantom V Limousine
Rolls-Royce dropped its 4.9 Litre long-wheelbase Silver Wraith from its line-up in 1958, replacing it with the Phantom V in 1959. The new car was introduced simultaneously with the updated Silver Cloud II, both featuring the marque’s new 6,230 cc aluminium V-8. The Phantom V was considerably larger than the Silver Wraith with a wheelbase of twelve feet, weighing a full two-and-one-half tons, and a length just two inches short of twenty feet! Despite its size, the car was noted in contemporary tests as having the ability to cruise in excess of 100 mph in near total silence. Limited production continued through 1968. Just 581 were produced of which 197 would wear coachwork by James Young.
In 1962, the Phantom V was updated with a lower radiator and bonnet, a four headlamp system, and indicator lights recessed into the nose of the front fenders. Improved carburetion and an increased compression ratio improved performance and economy.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in October of 2010 at the Battersea Evolution, London.
6,230 cc OHV V-8 engine, four-speed automatic transmission, dual master cylinder-equipped hydraulic brakes, servo-assisted, independent front suspension with coil springs and hydraulic shock absorbers, anti-roll torsion bar, asymmetric semi-elliptic leaf springs with hydraulic shock absorbers, electrically-controlled. Wheelbase: 144"
Source: RM Auctions