Jaguar XK120 Roadster
Since its unveiling in 1948, the Jaguar XK120 was a sensation with the contemporary buying public and later generations of enthusiasts. Chassis 670895 was built in October 1950 and sold new by Hornburg Jaguar Distributors in Los Angeles in 1951. In 1971, the car was purchased by the friend of the current owner, who drove it about 1,000 miles home and then parked it in his garage with the intention of a future restoration. In 1988 the current vendor purchased the original 670895 and commissioned a restoration that would take the next eleven years. Once removed from the chassis, the body was found to be in excellent condition with no metal replacement necessary. The chassis and suspension were fully restored as was every other component except for the engine, which was found to have been previously rebuilt.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in January of 2010 at the Arizona Biltmore Resort & Spa, Phoenix, Arizona and in July of 2011 at The Inn at St. John's, Plymouth, Michigan.
3,442 cc inline six-cylinder engine with dual overhead camshafts, four-speed manual gearbox, independent front suspension with transverse wishbones, elongated torsion bars and anti-roll bar, rigid rear axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs, and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 102".
Source: RM Auctions
Photo Credit: Copyright Darin Schnabel