Cadillac Model M Touring Car
Cadillac introduced a four-cylinder Model D in 1905, but their single-cylinder cars were sufficiently popular that they remained in production through 1908. That year, a team of three Model K Cadillacs triumphed in the Dewar competition in England, being disassembled, their parts scrambled, reassembled and easily started. This demonstration of Henry Leland’s precision manufacture earned Cadillac the Dewar Trophy and led to the slogan “The Standard of the World.”
However, under-seat engines were becoming passé, so Cadillac disguised the fact by mounting a dummy hood over the front axle on 1905 models, with a vertical radiator at the front. New single-cylinder models for 1906 were the K and M, which differed only in wheelbase (M was two inches longer). For 1907, the front fender contour was flattened, and a factory-installed Victoria top was offered, which added $100 to the $950 price.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in July of 2011 at The Inn at St. John's, Plymouth, Michigan.
10 hp, 98.2 cu. in. horizontal single-cylinder engine, two-speed planetary transmission, solid front axle with transverse leaf spring, live rear axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs and single chain drive, dual differential-mounted brakes. Wheelbase: 76".
Source: RM Auctions
Photo Credit: Copyright Darin Schnabel