Chrysler 300G Convertible
Chrysler’s new C-300 created a sensation in 1955. Based on the New Yorker hardtop coupe, it had front sheet-metal and grille from the Imperial and the most powerful engine in the company catalog, a 331-cubic inch hemi V-8 with dual four-barrel carburetors, a racing cam and solid lifters. At 300 bhp – from which it took its name – it was the most powerful American passenger car engine. For 1956, a new 300B model began the “letter series” that would continue for a decade.
A convertible was added with 1957’s 300C, featuring a full leather interior and the new corporate styling. This year marked the debut of the round tri-color “300” emblem, emblazoned prominently on the rear quarter panel. The Hemi engine now displaced 392 cubic inches and developed 375 horsepower, or 390 with optional dual-quad carburetion. Smaller, 14-inch wheels gave a lower profile.
The letter series progressed alphabetically, the 300D for 1958 experimenting with fuel injection and 1959’s 300E switching to a 413-cubic inch wedge engine. The 300F in 1960 introduced ram induction, and horsepower soared to 400. The wedge engine was continued for 1961 with the 300G, and the front end was restyled, reshaping the grille and mounting the headlights in slanted formation.
Cars featured were auctioned via RM Auctions at: August 2009 at the Portola Hotel & Spa; Monterey Conference Center, Monterey, California, in January of 2011; Arizona Biltmore Resort & Spa, Phoenix, Arizona; July of 2011 at The Inn at St. John's, Plymouth, Michigan; John Staluppi event in December, 2012.
375 bhp, 413 cu. in. overhead valve V-8 engine, three-speed TorqueFlite automatic transmission, torsion bar independent front suspension, live rear axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs, and four-wheel power-assisted drum brakes. Wheelbase: 126".
Source: RM Auctions
Photo Credit: Copyright Darin Schnabel; Teddy Pieper