Porsche 356A Cabriolet
The 356 model line expanded and evolved throughout the 1950s and quickly gained an enthusiastic following with each subsequent new variant. The Porsche 356A first appeared in North America at the New York Auto Show in 1956. It was offered with three different engines for American enthusiasts. One was the new 1,582 cc overhead-valve engine that replaced the old 1,500 cc unit. Other mechanical improvements included several suspension modifications. A softening of the front torsion bars, a lengthening of the rear torsion bars and smaller 15-inch wheels improved handling and provided a more comfortable ride. Additional comfort was produced by an increase in legroom due to a lowering of the 356’s floor.
The bodies were supplied by the Reutter Company in Stuttgart. The 356A was fitted with a new one piece windscreen, twin horn grilles below the headlamps, a rub rail along the rocker panel and a fuel gauge was now part of the new flat-faced dashboard’s instrumentation. Other new features of the instrument panel included a padded top, a tachometer, the speedometer and the fuel/oil gauge. Further changes took place in 1958 with the now twin Zenith 32 NDIX carbureted, 1,600 cc engine reverting back to standard bearings and cast-iron cylinders. The steering was also changed from worm and peg to worm and lever.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in August 2009 at the Portola Hotel & Spa and Monterey Conference Center, Monterey, California.
60 bhp, 1,582 cc horizontally-opposed four-cylinder engine, four-speed manual transmission, parallel trailing arms with transverse laminated torsion bars and anti-roll bar front suspension, swing axle rear suspension, and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 82.7".
Source: RM Auctions
Photo Credit: Copyright Darin Schnabel