Lagonda 3-Liter Three-Position Drophead Coupe
Among the most English of cars, the Lagonda had its origins at the hands of an American opera singer and took its name from a river in Ohio. Wilbur Gunn arrived in Britain in search of a music career but went into the motorcycle business instead. In 1908 he moved up to motor cars and through 1920 offered a range of light cars. Gunn, however, died that year and the surviving managers decided that field was too crowded by volume producers to be profitable. The defection of W.O. Bentley from his namesake company in 1935 was Lagonda’s good fortune, and the V-12 engine he brought with him the great prize.
After the war, David Brown purchased Lagonda, folding it into his Aston Martin organisation. The V-12 continued, but a 2.5-litre OHC six was the mainstay model. From 1953, this became the 3-Litre. The Duke of Edinburgh had a 3-Litre drophead for a time and was honorary president of the Lagonda Club.
Recipient of a recent engine rebuild by Lagonda specialists LMB of Wommelgem, Belgium, this 3-Litre drophead is exceptional in all respects. The Circassian Blue paintwork is in near-concours condition, as is the grey hand-stitched Connolly leather seating. Sympathetic upkeep has ensured a wonderful patina. The interior has luxurious polished walnut dashboard and door trim. Further interior specification includes heater and radio, the latter with multi-position speakers. One of a few 3-Litres with a floor gear change, the car also has built-in hydraulic jacks.
First registered on 6th December, 1954, this Lagonda is one of 57 drophead coupés, out of total 3-Litre production of just 270 cars. It comes with the original buff log book, original red instruction manual and buff service manual. A full history file accompanies the car, detailing just seven owners from new. It has always been dry stored, contributing no doubt to its fine overall condition. It has recently undergone a complete recommissioning, including full detailing and maintenance, to ensure that a new owner receives a car in perfect working order. A rare opportunity to acquire a rare model, this offering is one not likely to be soon repeated.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in October of 2010 at the Battersea Evolution, London.
140 bhp, 2,922 cc twin overhead-cam six-cylinder engine, four-speed manual gearbox, independent coil spring front suspension, torsion bar De Dion rear suspension, and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 113.5"
Source: RM Auctions