Delahaye 175S Coupe de Ville
This Delahaye 175S is the sole example built with the striking Coupé de Ville Aerodynamic body design from the fertile minds and skilled fabricators of the renowned French coachbuilding firm, Figoni et Falaschi. It was designed and completed specifically for the 1948 Paris Salon, and it is also notable as one of just 10 Delahaye 175S chassis that were originally produced with left-hand drive, intended specifically for Delahaye’s foray into the burgeoning post-war automobile market in the United States.
While clearly linked to the great pre-war French tradition of mating a high-performance chassis and drivetrain with bespoke coachwork and opulent passenger amenities, the Figoni et Falaschi Coupé de Ville bodywork provided a bold stylistic leap forward and predicted many leading-edge automotive design trends. Wonderful stylistic features included formal Victoria-style blind rear quarters with a pronounced “notchback” rear roofline, dramatic “fade-away” front wings flowing neatly back to the lower rear wings, and a removable clear forward roof panel predating today’s Targa-style roof designs by some 20 years. The brightwork, gently caressing the front and rear wings and running uninterrupted along the wheel arches and car’s rocker panels, was a remarkable study in understated yet effective application.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in October of 2010 at the Battersea Evolution, London.
162 bhp, 4,455 cc overhead-valve inline six-cylinder engine, triple carburettors, Cotal four-speed electromagnetic pre-selector transmission, Dubonnet independent front suspension with enclosed coil springs, De Dion rear axle with semi-elliptic springs, and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 116"
Source: RM Auctions
Photo Credit: Copyright Tom Wood