Chevrolet Impala SS 427 Convertible
Chevrolet big-block performance originated with the “W-head” 348-cubic inch “Turbo-Thrust” V-8, which began as a truck engine but found its way into the all-new Impala for 1958 and grew to 409 cubic inches and 425 bhp by 1962. For 1965, the all-new Mark IV 396-cubic inch big-block V-8 engine was released, distancing Chevrolet even further from the competition. The Mark IV was in fact derived from the 427-cubic inch “mystery motor” campaigned by Junior Johnson in 1963 and ultimately banned from NASCAR.
Continuing to bask in the glow of the early-1960s “glory days” when Chevrolet’s full-size Impala and lightweight Biscayne reigned supreme on the street and strip, full-size Chevrolets received all-new bodywork for 1965. Deceptively large with crisp, taut lines, the full-size Chevrolets received a minor facelift for 1966 and the enlarged 427-cubic inch Mark IV V-8, supported by an ever-growing list of powertrain and suspension options to harness its massive output.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in January of 2011 at the Arizona Biltmore Resort & Spa, Phoenix, Arizona.
390 bhp, 427 cu. in. RPO L36 V-8 engine, single four-barrel carburetor, Muncie four-speed manual transmission, independent front suspension with unequal-length A-arms and coil springs, live rear axle with coil springs, and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 119"
Source: RM Auctions