Aston Martin 1 1/2-Litre LWB Mark II
In 1913, wealthy sportsman Lionel Martin collaborated with engineer Robert Bamford to produce light cars based on 10-horsepower Singers. Martin contested hillclimbs, with a satisfying win achieved at the Aston Hill Climb. When he decided to produce his own sporting vehicle, Martin combined his last name with that of the site of his recent success, establishing Aston Martin in 1914. Competition success followed, but the partnership was bankrupt in 1925.
The marque was revived in 1926, when Lord Charnwood joined forces with A.C. Bertelli, who served as Technical Director between 1926 and 1937. The cars he designed were referred to as the “Bertelli Cars.” They included the 1.5-litre T-Type, the International, the Le Mans and the car offered here, the MK II, which was offered in short- and long-wheelbase form and gave rise to the famed Ulster racing variant. Bertelli was also a skilled driver who truly believed that racing “improved the breed.” The Aston Martin MKII, introduced in 1934 and produced only until December 1935, remains among the finest of the famed “Bertelli cars.” The MKII featured a reinforced ladder-frame chassis, improved front-axle control and large-diameter Alfin drum brakes. Powerful and smooth, the MKII engine produced 73 bhp in standard form, allowing for an 85 mph top speed. Only 166 MKIIs are believed to have been produced at Feltham, including 20 Ulster racing cars.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in October of 2010 at the Battersea Evolution, London.
73 bhp, 1,496 cc single overhead-camshaft inline four-cylinder dry-sump engine, dual SU carburettors, four-speed manual gearbox, semi-elliptic front and rear leaf springs, and four-wheel, cable-operated Alfin drum brakes. Wheelbase: 120"
Source: RM Auctions
Photo Credit: Copyright Simon Clay