Morgan 4/4 was the Morgan Motor Company's first car with four wheels. It appeared in 1936. Its model designation "4/4" stood for four wheels and four cylinders.
The original open 2-seater 4-4 was introduced in 1936 and was the most popular of the three body options available.
The car was further updated in 1968 to become the 1600 with two- and four-seat open bodies available.
The 4/4 1600 was introduced in February 1968 fitted with a variety of Ford 1599 cc Kent engines of type 2737E (70 bhp), type 2737GT (95.5 bhp) and type 2265E (95.5 bhp) from 1971 and a Ford four-speed gearbox.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in January of 2011 at the Arizona Biltmore Resort & Spa, Phoenix, Arizona.
95.5 bhp, 1,599 cc ohv inline four-cylinder engine, four-speed manual transmission, independent coil spring sliding pillar front suspension, underslung live rear axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs, and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 96"
Source: RM Auctions; Wikipedia, 2011
Photo Credit: Copyright Darin Schnabel