Aston Martin DB Mark IIIA
The Frank Feeley-styled DB2, introduced in May 1950, marked the debut road model for Aston Martin under industrialist David Brown, who had recently acquired the company.
In 1953, this gentlemen’s sports car grew into a four-place saloon, the DB2/4, followed by Drophead Coupe and Fixed Head Notchback variants. By 1954, a new 3.0-liter engine producing 140 horsepower was introduced, and then in 1955, the revised MK II debuted at the London Motor Show. The MK II continued through early 1957 when the MK III supplanted it, with its upgraded DBA engine now providing 162 bhp and up to 178 hp with optional dual exhaust outlets. Detail refinements enhanced the exterior styling, particularly the grille, and a redesigned instrument panel now placed all gauges directly in front of the driver, its binnacle reflecting the new shape grille opening influenced by the DB3S sports racing car. The former 2/4 model designation was dropped in 1957, with the cars now simply known as the DB MK III. Four-wheel “Alfin” drum brakes were standard, with Girling front disc brakes optional on the earliest MK IIIs produced, sometimes known retrospectively as the MK IIIA. While factory records show 529 DB MK IIIs built, the AMOC Register places total production at 551 examples, including one purpose-built competition car.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in January of 2011 at the Arizona Biltmore Resort & Spa, Phoenix, Arizona.
162 bhp (SAE), 2,922 cc DBA inline six-cylinder engine with dual overhead camshafts and dual SU carburetors, fully synchronized four-speed manual gearbox, independent front suspension with coil springs, trailing arms and anti-roll bar, trailing link, coil springs and Armstrong lever dampers, live Salisbury rear axle located by trailing links and transverse Panhard rod, and hydraulic four-wheel drum brakes. Wheelbase: 99"
Source: RM Auctions