Aston Martin DB4
In 1956, Aston Martin began development of the all-new DB4, which debuted at the London Motor Show during the autumn of 1958. Not only did it set the tone of Aston Martin styling for years to come, the DB4 also heralded an updated engine designed by Tadek Marek, whose name became synonymous with Aston Martin engineering.
The DOHC DB4 engine displaced 3,670 cc, was entirely constructed from aluminum and produced 240 bhp in standard tune with its dual SU carburetors. While its technical specifications were certainly impressive, the new 3.7-liter “six” most importantly provided a platform for further development and continued, with various displacements and power ratings, through mid-1973.
Aston Martin turned to Milanese design firm Carrozzeria Touring for its Superleggera (super light) body design, comprising a lightweight yet strong framework of small-diameter tubes cloaked in aluminum panels. The chassis, designed by Harold Beach, was both simpler in design and more rigid than that of its predecessors, using a new pressed-steel platform frame. Four-wheel Dunlop (later Girling) disc brakes enhanced the DB4’s proficiency on the road, which yielded top speeds of some 140 mph. Today, the DB4 continues to hold the distinction of being the first production car capable of travelling from 0-100-0 mph in less than 30 seconds. In short, the DB4 is a landmark model that squarely placed Aston Martin back on equal footing with Ferrari and Maserati, its main Italian archrivals.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in January of 2011 at the Arizona Biltmore Resort & Spa, Phoenix, Arizona.
240 bhp, 3,670 cc DOHC inline six-cylinder engine, dual SU carburetors, four-speed DB manual gearbox, independent front suspension with upper and lower control arms, coil springs and anti-roll bar, live rear axle with Watt linkage, trailing links and coil springs, and four-wheel, servo-assisted hydraulic disc brakes. Wheelbase: 98"
Source: RM Auctions