Ford Custom Station Wagon
The new 1949 Fords were introduced on June 8, 1948. They were as un-Ford-like as anything the public had ever seen. Slab-sided and streamlined, they were every bit as modern as the other all-new postwar cars of Studebaker, Hudson and Packard. The company proudly announced that the New York Fashion Academy had judged Ford the “Fashion Car of the Year.”
Under the skin were still more changes. With Henry Ford having passed away twelve months earlier, features he would never have approved had become fair game: coil spring independent front suspension, open drive line and a conventional side mounted distributor.
Traditional wagon bodies would not work with the new cars’ lines, but Ford had much image equity in the wood art form and was reluctant to go all-steel. A steel skeleton body was designed and skinned with mahogany plywood trimmed in maple or birch. Laminating and heat-bonding techniques that Iron Mountain had learned during the war while building gliders for the armed forces led to curved wood laminates. This construction not only allowed complex wood shapes, but it also reduced waste and was cheaper. Only two-door station wagons were built, and the Ford wagon came only in upscale Custom trim.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in January of 2010 at the Arizona Biltmore Resort & Spa, Phoenix, Arizona.
100 bhp, 239.4 cu. in. Flathead V8 engine, three-speed manual transmission, coil spring independent front suspension, live rear axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs, four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 114"
Source: RM Auctions