Between 1948 and 1965, more than 70,000 Porsche 356s of all engine and body configurations were imported to the United States. In that time, the 356 underwent a thorough and systematic process of improvement, a hallmark of Porsche engineering. Porsche is famous for the careful development of its automobiles, so it is no surprise that the ever-evolving 356 models were highly developed and sophisticated automobiles for their time. Shortcomings in design and execution were constantly being identified, analyzed, massaged and eliminated. The Porsche horizontally-opposed four-cylinder engine was as close to bulletproof as Teutonic determination could make it. Rear suspension revisions, long since refined and perfected, had rendered the 356’s handling characteristics. Construction had matured until fit, finish and function set the standard to which other manufacturers strived. The production Porsches existed in parallel with their racing counterparts, always benefiting from innovations, but pursuing their own course toward meeting, and exceeding, the expectations of customers.
By the time production ceased in 1965, the car was a consistent winner both in terms of sales and also on the racetrack. Making its debut at the Frankfurt Auto Show on September 1959, the 356B updated the body style from the 356A, but the engine options remained unchanged. The changes made to the 356B improved comfort, handling and drivability.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in January of 2010 at the Arizona Biltmore Resort & Spa, Phoenix, Arizona.
75 bhp, 1,582 cc air-cooled four-cylinder engine, four-speed manual gearbox, four-wheel independent suspension and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 82.7"
Source: RM Auctions