Lagonda Rapier Three-Position Drophead Coupe
The Lagonda factory had rather humble beginnings, starting its operation in the greenhouse of Wilbur Gunn’s home in Staines, Middlesex. The company was soon manufacturing motorcycles and two-cylinder tricycles, eventually leading to the construction of the first Lagonda motor car. The 10-horsepower car was followed by a 16/18-horsepower vehicle, which raced at Brooklands in 1909 and won the 1910 Moscow to St. Petersburg Reliability Trial, a feat that resulted in many export orders. A 20-horsepower model was next, and in 1910, a six-cylinder, 30-horsepower car was produced in large numbers, with Czarist Russia becoming Lagonda’s biggest market.
An innovative 1,100 cc “Light Car” followed in 1913, which became known post-war as the 11.9 and then as the 12/24. Wilbur Gunn died in 1919, but Lagonda continued to thrive. Two-liter and three-liter models followed, and in mid-September 1933, two entirely new Lagonda models were introduced – the 1,100 cc Rapier and a large, sporting model powered by a six-cylinder Meadows engine of almost 4.5 liters.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in January of 2010 at the Arizona Biltmore Resort & Spa, Phoenix, Arizona.
50 bhp, 1,104 cc twin overhead camshaft inline four-cylinder engine, four speed pre-selector transmission, half-elliptic springs controlled by friction dampers, Girling rod operated brakes with large 13-inch drums. Wheelbase: 98.75"
Source: RM Auctions
Photo Credit: Copyright Darin Schnabel