Packard Super Eight All-Weather Town Car
This 1930 Packard All-Weather Town Car was built on the Model 745C chassis, exclusively reserved for custom coachwork with the engine positioned five inches forward, allowing more space for the body with a correspondingly shorter hood. LeBaron bodied it when new, and the first owner was Mr. Alexander Lindsay of Rochester, New York, a member of a highly successful family of upscale department store owners, who ordered the car as a gift for his wife. Following delivery, it was chauffeur-driven and maintained, remaining a cherished part of the family well into the 1950s.
Mr. Lacey Jenkins, a resident of Rochester and a long-time admirer of the car, acquired it in the late 1950s in “like new” condition. An enthusiastic owner, Mr. Jenkins carefully maintained the car and drove it sparingly in fair weather only. Following Mr. Jenkins’ death in 1981, the Town Car eventually passed through one Mr. Madio, another Rochester resident, to the Las Vegas-based Imperial Palace Collection in the mid-1980s. The next known owner was the Otis Chandler Collection until October 2001, when Mr. Lyall Trenholm finally acquired the car after 35 years and several attempts to acquire it. Finally, its current Georgia-based owner acquired the rare Packard.
In addition to the roll-up front windows and a leather soft top, both defining features of the all-weather town car body style, this car includes a hard roof panel for the driver and a padded top covering the passenger compartment, both of which are made using Siberian horsehide. The right rear side of the car, normally reserved for ladies, features a beautiful inlaid-wood vanity. As expected, an intercom allows communication with the driver. Interior fittings feature a brushed-nickel finish, lovely scrollwork adorns the switch plates and interior lights, and elaborate stitching enhances the upholstery. Silk pull-down window shades add privacy.
Many thoughtful features highlight the impeccable quality of LeBaron’s bodywork. Among them are the beautifully rounded rear corners of the rear-hinged doors, vault-like curbside-only door locks, running board-mounted courtesy lights and a uniquely designed luggage rack with dual taillights within the support members. Chrome fender strips, first introduced by LeBaron in 1930, protect the paint finish as the occupants enter and exit. Packard accessories include chrome wire wheels, side-mounted mirrors, a radiator stone guard, an Adonis mascot, a monogrammed light bar, a wardrobe trunk with fitted luggage, senior Trippe driving lights and more. Since the car was originally intended solely for summer use, it lacks front and rear heaters.
As presented, this remarkable automobile is a true unrestored “survivor” with fewer than 33,000 actual miles and retains the original bodywork, Dark Olive Green body finish, padded top and rear upholstery. Only the fenders are refinished. In fact, it is believed to be the sole Packard Model 745C LeBaron All-Weather Town Car in existence today, according to research conducted during Mr. Trenholm’s ownership. Beautifully preserved and remarkably original, this incredibly rare Town Car is worthy of any Packard enthusiast’s attention.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in March of 2011 at the Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island, Florida.
106 bhp, L-head inline eight-cylinder engine, four-speed manual transmission, solid front and live rear axles with semi-elliptic leaf springs, and four-wheel mechanical drum brakes. Wheelbase: 145.5"
Source: RM Auctions