Cadillac Four-Passenger Coupe
Cadillac founder Henry Martyn Leland foresaw the popularity of the small closed car when he had his company construct a two-passenger coupe on a single-cylinder chassis late in 1905. Offered each year except 1909, in 1912 it grew to four-passenger capacity. Called formally “Coupe for Four Passengers” and even “Princely Coupe,” it was of the “phone booth” type, with the delightful “tulip” body contour of the early runabouts.
An older restoration, this 1913 coupe is attractive in black with white pinstripe and a wicker inset on each door. The body contours are correct, and the paint exhibits a deep shine. An offset seat beside the driver accommodates two passengers; the fourth place seat folds down from the dashboard, such that its occupant rides backwards. The interior verges on opulence, with tan broadcloth throughout and button-tucked upholstery on the seats. The rear window retains an original brocade roller shade, and there are bud vases on the door pillars. Instrumentation includes an illuminated 60-mph Warner “Auto-Meter” speedometer and a clock, as well as a Delco ammeter. Electric lighting is Cadillac script by Gray & Davis, painted body color with nickel rims. Accessory directional signals have been fitted for safety in modern traffic.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in March of 2011 at the Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island, Florida.
40-50 bhp, 6L inline four-cylinder engine, three-speed manual transmission, solid front axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs, live rear axle with platform leaf spring suspension, two-wheel mechanical brakes. Wheelbase: 120"
Source: RM Auctions
Photo Credit: Copyright Darin Schnabel