Aston Martin DB2/4 Mark III Coupe
The landmark DB2, considered by many the first “real” postwar Aston Martin, was introduced in May 1950. The ultimate and most highly refined variant, the DB Mark III (the “2/4” designation was eventually dropped) was introduced in March 1957 and produced through July 1959 in both fixed and drophead coupe form.
Engineer Tadek Marek thoroughly revised the six-cylinder engine, with output rising substantially. Front disc brakes supplemented Alfin rear drum brakes, with this upgrade being optional on the first 100 Mark IIIs. Styling and body fittings were updated, most notably with a new DB3S-style grille opening. While the later DB5 is most often associated with James Bond, Ian Fleming’s original novel Goldfinger actually had 007 driving a DB Mark III. In fact, the Mark III was the only car in his books equipped with the “Q-Branch” lethal gadgets Bond fans associate with Aston Martins.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in January of 2012 at the Arizona Biltmore Resort & Spa, Phoenix, Arizona.
162 bhp, inline six-cylinder, four-speed manual transmission, independent coil spring front suspension, live axle with coil springs rear suspension, front disc and rear drum brakes. Wheelbase: 2,515 mm (99")
Source: RM Auctions