Allard K2 Factory Special Roadster
Long before Carroll Shelby’s Cobra, Sydney Allard’s prewar trials machines and postwar sports roadsters pioneered the marriage of powerful American V-8 engines with lightweight English chassis. Allard built an impressive record driving his own cars, including third overall in 1950 at Le Mans and first in the 1952 Monte Carlo Rally. Allards were particularly successful in America, where J2s won many important early sports-car races, including a 1-2 finish at Sebring in 1950.
While the firm was rooted in competition, Allard developed the K1 road car into the new K2 for 1950. A longer-wheelbase car with full envelope bodywork, the K2 was a dual-purpose road/track terror produced through 1952, with just 119 made. This exceptional K2 carries a complete provenance from new and is accompanied by original factory documents confirming it was a top-priority, “special production” unit, built specifically for display at the 1952 New York Auto Show.
Among the many special features was a pair of spare wheels mounted within special front-fender wheel wells, J2X-specification Borrani wire wheels, whitewall tires, J2X “Alfin” aluminum drum brakes front and rear, and the sophisticated J2X de Dion rear suspension. The car’s original order forms were supplemented by a letter dated February 4, 1952, which details the additional features.
The 600-plus horsepower output of the rebuilt Chrysler Hemi V-8 and the rigors of highly competitive FIA-legal vintage racing necessitated numerous prudent modifications and upgrades. Since the original Allard suspension uprights were vulnerable to cracking under heavy use, new uprights were fabricated from billet material for superior strength. New axle shafts from Spicer were fabricated and installed, along with modified and machined Jaguar rear-axle hubs, and much larger Buick drum brakes were added for improved stopping power.
Fully armed for competition, the K2 is complete with four spare original Halibrand “kidney bean” wheels, spare brake shoes and other items. Its document file is comprehensive and includes such original items as the purchase order and amendments thereto on Allard stationery, original Allard Assembly and Engineer’s Instructions cards, correspondence with the Allard Owners’ Club, restoration invoices and correspondence, ownership history, the aforementioned FIA papers and documentation of the exhaustive list of mechanical upgrades.
Uniquely equipped when first built as a ‘special production’ K2, this example is blessed with virtually universal event eligibility, and it is an impressive track and road rally machine with unique and important provenance.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in January of 2012 at the Arizona Biltmore Resort & Spa, Phoenix, Arizona.
600 bhp, 396 cu. in. (bored 392 cu. in.) 1957 Chrysler “Hemi” V-8 engine, dual Holley 750 cfm four-barrel carburetors, manual gearbox, split-axle front suspension, de Dion rear suspension with coil springs and Halibrand “Quick-Change” center section, and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 106".
Source: RM Auctions