Lagonda 16/80 Special
Although best known today for its post-WWII ownership under Sir David Brown, Lagonda remains one of the greatest British marques on the strength of its earlier history alone. Despite early success, sporting models were ignored until 1925, when the 14/60 debuted, designed by former Lea-Francis engineer Arthur Davidson and featuring a highly advanced twin-cam 2.0-litre ‘four’ with hemispherical combustion chambers.
Progress was quick, though, with the up-rated Speed model following in 1927 and a supercharged version in 1930. The long-wheelbase 16/65 variant featured a 2.4-litre ‘six’ between 1926 and 1930. A 3.0-litre, six-cylinder model debuted late in the 1920s and evolved to 3.2-litre spec by 1933. With a complex Maybach eight-speed gearbox, it was known as the “Selector Special.” The 16/80 debuted for 1932, with a Crossley-supplied 2.0-litre OHV engine, which Lagonda disassembled, rebuilt and up-rated with a twin-SU carburettor induction system. Only 261 were produced.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in October of 2011 at the Battersea Evolution, London.
1,991 cc OHV inline six-cylinder engine, twin SU carburettors, four-speed manual gearbox, semi-elliptic leaf spring and beam axle front suspension, semi-elliptic leaf spring and live axle rear suspension, and four-wheel drum brakes.
Source: RM Auctions