MG SA Tourer
The MG SA was a sporting saloon produced from 1936 to 1939. Launched as the 2 litre, it only later became known as the SA, the car had been originally planned as an advanced performance saloon to rival the likes of SS Cars (later to be known as Jaguar) and even Bentley with all independent suspension and was given the factory code of EX150 and designated the S-type. A prototype was made but with the amalgamation of MG with Morris Motors in 1935 development stopped. The Cowley drawing office picked up the project again but a much more conservative car appeared with conventional live rear and beam front axles.
The saloon body, the only option available at the time of the car's launch, was made in-house by Morris and was a spacious four door with traditional MG grille flanked by two large chrome plated headlights. The spare wheel was carried on the boot lid. Inside there were individual seats in front and a bench seat at the rear, all with leather covering. Much use was made of walnut for the dashboard and other trim items.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in October of 2011 at the Battersea Evolution, London.
75 bhp, 2,288 cc OHV six-cylinder engine, four-speed manual gearbox, solid front and live rear axles with semi-elliptic rear springs, and four-wheel Lockheed hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 3,124 mm.
Source: RM Auctions; Wikipedia, 2011