Aston Martin DB4 Vantage
In 1956, development of the all-new Aston Martin DB4 began concurrently with that of the car it eventually succeeded, the DB2-derived DB Mark III. The DB4 was introduced at the London Motor Show during the autumn of 1958, and not only did it set the tone of Aston Martin styling for years to come, it also introduced an all-new engine designed by famed Polish-born engineer Tadek Marek.
The DB4 engine, fitted with dual overhead camshafts and displacing 3,670 cc, was entirely constructed from aluminium and produced 240 bhp in standard tune with dual SU carburettors. While this basic engine was certainly impressive, the Vantage-specification power unit was available from September 1961 and delivered 26 additional horsepower.
Aston Martin had moved from strength to strength throughout the 1950s and the 1960s, and the DB4 played a crucial role in the marque’s successful era. In 1958, Britain’s Prince Philip awarded Aston Martin his Royal Warrant of Appointment. Meanwhile, under the guidance of famed works team manager John Wyer, Aston Martin took overall victory at Le Mans in 1959, with Carroll Shelby and Roy Salvadori driving the mighty DBR1 sports racer, en route to achieving the World Manufacturer’s Championship for sports cars.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in October of 2011 at the Battersea Evolution, London.
266 bhp, 3,670 cc ‘Vantage’ all-alloy DOHC inline six-cylinder engine, triple Weber carburettors, fully synchronised four-speed manual gearbox with overdrive, independent front transverse wishbone suspension, rear coil-spring suspension, and four-wheel hydraulic disc brakes. Wheelbase: 2,490 mm.
Source: RM Auctions