Studebaker Commander State Convertible
Studebaker, among the oldest of automakers, made dramatic gains after World War II. Boasting “First by Far with a Postwar Car,” the company brought out the dramatic Starlight coupe in 1947, so sleek that passers-by debated which way the car was traveling. Sales surged steadily upward to levels not seen before the war. The make achieved eighth place in the industry for 1949, before settling into a steady ninth as other automakers’ production caught up with demand.
Alone among independent manufacturers, Studebaker introduced its own automatic transmission, developed in conjunction with Borg Warner, in 1950, the year the cars were face-lifted with the aircraft-inspired “bullet nose” design. For 1951, a V-8 engine was in the offing, again a first for an independent, a sturdy overhead-valve design that would remain in production for more than a decade.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in July of 2011 at The Inn at St. John's, Plymouth, Michigan.
120 bhp, 232.6 cu. in. OHV V-8 engine, three-speed automatic transmission, coil spring independent front suspension, live rear axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs, four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 115".
Source: RM Auctions