Throughout its lengthy production cycle, Porsche’s 356 underwent a thorough and systematic process of improvement, a hallmark of the Stuttgart firm’s engineering prowess that continues to this day. Debuted at the Frankfurt Auto Show in September 1959, the 356B variant carried an updated body style courtesy of designer Erwin Komenda, which kept the 356 fresh in an increasingly crowded sports car marketplace.
Most prominently, the 356B featured raised and enlarged bumpers mounting a pair of vertical guards, offering an additional measure of crash protection. Headlamps were now more vertical and rose within mildly revised front wings, while intakes for brake-cooling ducts appeared below the front bumper. In addition, the gear change lever was revised and the rear seat was lowered to provide additional headroom. Subtle chassis tuning provided improved driving dynamics, while braking improved with a switch to a set of new cast-aluminium brake drums with 72 radial cooling fins per drum and cast-iron liners.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in October of 2009 at the Battersea Evolution, London.
60 bhp, 1,582 cc air-cooled, horizontally-opposed four-cylinder engine, four-speed manual gearbox in rear transaxle, independent front suspension with parallel trailing arms, transverse laminated torsion bars and anti-roll bar, independent rear suspension with swing axles and transverse torsion bars, and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 82.7"
Source: RM Auctions