Lagonda 16/80 Tourer
One of the truly great pre-war British marques, Lagonda was founded by American Wilbur Gunn, originally of Springfield, Ohio. Three-wheelers and larger-capacity twin-cylinder engines followed early motorcycles, and Gunn used one such engine to win the London to Edinburgh Reliability Trial of 1908. With the shift to four-wheeled transportation, Gunn designed a car that won the 1910 Moscow–St. Petersburg race. The company manufactured artillery shells during WWI, and Alf Cranmer, Gunn’s long-time business partner, took it over in 1920.
The year 1932 included the adoption of Lagonda’s trademark winged badge. A complex eight-speed Maybach gearbox debuted, as did the 16/80 Tourer, a sporty model with a two-litre, six-cylinder engine manufactured by Crossley. An ENV preselector gearbox was initially an option and made standard by 1933. A four-door saloon and two-door sporting model were available, but perhaps the best-known body style was the T7 open four-seater.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in October of 2011 at the Hershey Lodge, Hershey, Pennsylvania.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in October of 2011 at the Battersea Evolution, London.
68 bhp, 1,991 cc inline six-cylinder engine, ENV Preselector transmission, semi-elliptic leaf spring and beam axle front suspension, semi-elliptic leaf spring and live axle rear suspension, and four-wheel drum brakes. Wheelbase: 3,124 mm.
Source: RM Auctions