Bentley Mark VI
Unlike many pre-war automobile manufacturers, Rolls-Royce survived the ravages of World War II and emerged into the new peacetime environment in relatively good financial health. Rolls-Royce immediately focused its efforts on all-new and highly refined post-war automotive designs. Company management acutely understood the new realities of the difficult post-war economy and began to embrace greater standardisation, higher production volumes and their resulting economies of scale, a product of the demands of the war years. The company’s Bentley Mark VI was introduced in 1946, marking the first post-war Bentley automobile of Rolls-Royce design, and most significantly, the Mark VI represented a complete break from the past, being designed and built as a complete car and fitted with new, standardised pressed-steel saloon coachwork. The Pressed Steel Company of Oxford built the bodies, which were reminiscent of the Park Ward-bodied Mark V models of the late 1930s, while ex-Gurney Nutting Chief Designer John Blatchley applied the highly refined detail features.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in May of 2010 at the Grimaldi Forum, Monaco.
150 bhp, 4,257 cc overhead valve six-cylinder engine, four-speed manual transmission, independent front suspension with coil springs, rigid rear axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs, and drum brakes all around. Wheelbase: 3,048 mm (120").
Source: RM Auctions
Photo Credit: Copyright Tom Wood