Ferrari 166 Inter Coupe
The Ferrari 166 Inter model was the road version of the sports racing model, produced between 1948 and 1950 and comprising thirty-seven examples, which carried chassis numbers in the odd number road car sequence between 007 S and 0079 S. Various coach builders were employed, all with their own interpretation of how they felt a Ferrari should be clothed. Apart from Carrozzeria Touring, which bodied the first 166 Sport coupé for the 1948 Turin Salon, there were also examples of coachwork from the houses of Bertone, Ghia, Stabilimenti Farina and Vignale.
The Carrozzeria Touring examples were the most popular and bore a strong family resemblance to the style of the coach builder’s Ferrari 166 MM Barchetta, albeit on a longer wheelbase chassis and with a smoothly curved coupé or berlinetta body. At this time virtually every car was unique and there would frequently be numerous detail differences, perhaps in the radiator grille design or lighting layout, between one car and another from the same coach builder. Although the Inter series models were built as road cars, numerous owners used them in competition, and they acquitted themselves well, despite the slightly heavier bodies and full interior trim.
The mechanical layout on a longer wheelbase chassis was virtually identical to the competition 166 MM models, with a two-litre V-12 engine coupled to a five speed gearbox driving through a rigid rear axle. The “166” in the model designation referred to the swept volume of a single cylinder in cubic centimetres, with all 12 adding up to 1,992 cc, or nearly two litres. The Gioacchino Colombo-designed engines in these models had a twin distributor and coil ignition system, and were fitted with a single twin choke carburettor as standard, although a triple set-up could be specified. The Ferrari sales literature of the time claimed a power output of 110 bhp at 6000 rpm. The model featured independent front suspension via a transverse leaf spring, wishbones and Houdaille lever-type hydraulic shock absorbers. At the rear there were semi-elliptic leaf springs and similar Houdaille hydraulic shock absorbers. The brakes were hydraulic drum type to all four wheels, with a mechanical handbrake to the rear wheels. These were the only road production Ferraris of the period available with steel disc-type CABO road wheels as an alternative to the more popular and sporting wire wheels. In either instance they had a Rudge-type splined hub, sometimes under a chrome hub cap on the disc wheels.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in May of 2009 at Ferrari S.p.A., Fiorano Modenese, Modena, in October of 2009 at the Battersea Evolution, London, in August of 2010 at the Portola Hotel & Spa and Monterey Conference Center, Monterey, California and in May of 2012 at the Grimaldi Forum, Monaco.
110 bhp, 1,992 cc overhead-camshaft V-12 engine, five speed manual gearbox, independent front suspension via A-arms, transverse leaf spring and lever shocks, rigid rear axle with semi elliptic leaf springs and lever shocks, four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 2,420 mm (95.3 in.)
Photo Credit: Copyright Pieter E. Kamp and Bruno Taddei