The Healey Hundred was created in 1952 and skillfully combined Donald Healey’s sound chassis design, with a sleek “envelope” body designed by Gerry Coker and the overhead-valve Austin A90 four-cylinder engine. Displayed at the Earl’s Court Motor Show, Austin’s Leonard Lord saw the car, and a deal was quickly struck for its production by Austin. The car, which became known as the Austin-Healey 100, was succeeded by the six-cylinder 100/6 in 1956, and for 1959 the engine was enlarged and front disc brakes were added. The resulting highly developed Austin-Healey 3000 was an immediate success, both on and off the track.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in June of 2011 at the Syon House, London and in October of 2011 at the Hershey Lodge, Hershey, Pennsylvania.
124 bhp, 2,912 cc OHV inline six-cylinder engine, dual SU carburetors, four-speed manual gearbox with overdrive, independent front suspension with wishbones and coil springs, live rear axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs, and hydraulic front disc, rear drum brakes. Wheelbase: 92"
Source: RM Auctions