From Volvo press: When Volvo presented an open 2-seater sports car with a body made of fibreglass-reinforced plastic in 1954, it was something of a sensation.
However, the car did not go into production until 1956 and, after a great many problems, production was wound up in 1957. By this time, 67 cars had been produced.
From the beginning, the idea was that this car would only be exported. A convertible was not regarded as wholly suitable for the Swedish climate. However, in spite of this, most of the cars were sold on the Swedish domestic market.
The car was based on standard components, mainly from the Volvo PV444, but it was built on a separate tubular frame. The engine was a developed version of the 4-cylinder, 1.4-litre engine from the PV444. Using twin carburettors, a different camshaft, larger intake valves and higher compression, this engine developed 70 bhp.