Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 Villa d'Este
From Alfa Romeo press: As with most Italian industries, Alfa converted to war production in the 1940's and its plants were bombed by the Allies; (the Portello plant ceased operations entirely following damage sustained on 20 October 1944).
Work resumed the following April after the peace treaty was signed, but the workshops had been damaged and there were no components for making aircraft engines, coaches or cars.
So the 8000 Portello plant workers made electric cookers, metal furniture, doors, windows and shutters - in other words, the materials needed to rebuild a broken country.
Auto manufacturing was resumed only in 1946. Pre-war 6C 2500s rolled out of the factory and 158s salvaged from the war debris raced on tracks. New versions (Freccia d'oro and Villa d'Este), and the fitment of an innovative steering wheel-mounted gear shift, soon arrived.