Ford Model A
Ford Motor Company was incorporated in June 1903, and its first model was, naturally, the Model A. It bore a striking resemblance to the car that was developed at the Henry Ford Company, but the biggest difference in the two cars was in the engine of the production car. It was a compact powerplant with two opposed cylinders located under the front seat. The water-cooled engine was started via a hand crank inserted through the bodywork on the right-hand side of the car with power transmitted via chain-drive to the rear wheels. The 8-hp 110.4 cid horizontally-opposed two-cylinder, each with a 4x4 bore and stroke, was advertised as “The Boss of the Road.”
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in August of 2010 at the Portola Hotel & Spa and Monterey Conference Center, Monterey, California and in October of 2010 at the Hershey Lodge, Hershey, Pennsylvania.
8 hp, 100.4 cu. in. horizontally-opposed two-cylinder engine, two-speed planetary transmission, chain drive, band brakes, full elliptic front and rear suspension. Wheelbase: 72".
Source: RM Auctions
Photo Credit: Copyright Simon Clay, Darin Schnabel and Stephen Goodal