BMW 503 Cabriolet
The BMW badge is the epitome of dynamism and exclusive driving pleasure embodied in a stylish, luxurious two-door automobile.
The challenges of competitive motor sport and the pursuit of the extraordinary mark the history of the development of BMW sport coupes from the very beginning. With their superior driving performance and groundbreaking technical innovations, they have always aroused desire, while their progressive character reflects the innovative power of the company that created them. The BMW coupes have achieved a status which reaches far beyond their own product life cycle with their salient design. As outstanding examples of the BMW design idiom at the time, they have become milestones in the aesthetics of automobile construction.
BMW 503 Coupe was powered by the eight-cylinder engine, which had been increased to a capacity of 3.2 liters and which delivered 140 hp to the BMW 503. With features which included leather upholstery and electric windows, the four-seater BMW 503 fulfilled the burgeoning desire for luxury and extraordinarily elegant design during the early phase of Germany’s economic miracle.
The BMW 503 was also a pioneer in terms of technology. Parts of its bodywork were made of aluminum, the lightweight V8 engine accelerated the coupe to 190 km/h. A brake servo was part of the standard equipment and from 1957 onwards, the gearbox was married directly to the engine and for the first time was operated by a gear stick on the floor and not by a gear shift on the steering wheel, as had been the case up until then.
Source: BMW press