Supermini's design is a case of, "Honey, I shrunk the C4 Cactus."
Well, here’s something adorable. Meet the new Citroën C3, a supermini five-door that’s just been unveiled in Europe. It’s quirky and French and awesome. And it’s packed with lots of functionality and safety features, while still being highly customizable and very tech-forward.
The exterior design is pure Citroën, with a mix of flowing lines and sharp creases that result in a very distinctive look. Owners can spec three different roof colors that match other accent pieces around the car, as well as nine different body colors, for a two-tone appearance. Think of the super cool Citroën C4 Cactus, only smaller. And speaking of the Cactus, that car’s innovative Airbump panels make their way onto the new C3.
Under the hood, the C3 comes with a choice of three PureTech gasoline engines or two BlueHDi diesel powertrains. What’s more, the diminutive hatch comes equipped with features like hill-start assist, lane departure warning, blind spot monitoring, driver attention alert, a backup camera, and more.
Click here for full gallery (110 photos)
Inside, the cabin is awash in interesting fabrics and unique designs, but technology takes center stage. Housed in the seven-inch touchscreen is Citroën's Connect Nav system, with a full navigation suite and other infotainment technologies, including Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, and MirrorLink. Another really cool feature is something called ConnectedCAM Citroën, which uses a camera located behind the rear-view mirror that can capture images and video and upload them directly to your social media channels. In other words, stop taking selfies while you’re driving and just let the C3 do it for you, so you can keep your hands on the wheel.
Read more about the quirky, cute, fun, practical new C3 in the press release below the gallery. And be sure to check out the videos below for a closer look.
Gallery: 2016 Citroën C3 Paris Motor Show
NEW CITROËN C3 REVEALED: THE NEW CITROËN OFFENSIVE
Today sees the global reveal of the New Citroën C3 – a fresh, bold and colourful B-segment, 5-door supermini that delivers new levels of advanced comfort and personality to the sector.
Citroën is renewing its best-selling C3 model, which has already sold more than 3.6 million examples since it was originally launched in 2002. New Citroën C3 is set to shake-up the market with its highly customisable character and the very latest automotive technologies, including a world premiere for ConnectedCAM Citroën™, an on-board HD camera that allows drivers to share their road-trip photos and videos directly with friends and family.
The New Citroën C3 is everything you would expect a modern Citroën to be – colourful, stylish, brimming with new technologies, supremely comfortable and with a bold, fun-loving personality.
The New C3 embodies all the core values of Citroën;
OPTIMISTIC: New C3 combines a characteristically Citroën front-end, with soft lines, flowing curves and striking colour schemes to deliver a powerful and energetic look.
Highly customisable, New C3 is audacious and full of personality by design, to ensure each owner can create a bespoke look that suits their individual style.
The exterior has a two-tone paint option, with a choice of three roof colours and complimentary touches of colour around the car (fog lights, door mirrors, rear quarter panels and on the Airbump® panels). Inside, customers have a choice of four different interiors that all deliver a spacious, yet intimate feel, thanks to the shape of the seats and an uncluttered dashboard.
HUMAN: New C3 is focused on the well-being of everyone on-board.
The Citroën Advanced Comfort® programme has influenced the creation of New C3. Comfortable seats, a panoramic glass sunroof that fills the cabin with light, colours and fabrics inspired by travel and home interior design, a 7-inch touchscreen that groups together all of the key vehicle functions and a keyless entry and start system, all combine to emphasise a feeling of reassurance, comfort and calm.
SMART: New C3 introduces ConnectedCAM Citroën™, which is a world premiere for the brand.
ConnectedCAM Citroën™ uses a fully integrated camera, located behind the rear view mirror, to capture images and video that can instantly be shared on social media channels, or saved as evidence in the event of an accident. The New Citroën C3 now offers even more options that improve the driving experience, with an advanced driver assistance system including voice controlled 3D navigation, a reversing camera, lane departure warning and blind-spot monitoring. Finally, the efficient, high-performance powertrain options continue the technological theme with PureTech petrol and BlueHDi Diesel engines, and the latest generation EAT6 fully automatic gearbox available as part of the range.
Citroën CEO, Linda Jackson, said; “The New C3 has all the Citroën values and all the qualities to give the brand new impetus, which is especially important as the previous model accounted for almost one in five sales in Europe. A comfortable car with real personality, it is set to appeal to new customers looking for a modern car with character.”
Xavier Peugeot, Citroën Product Director, added; “With its unique body style, personalised features and connectivity, New C3 is a bold, fresh, modern car. It illustrates the ongoing Citroën product offensive.”
OPTIMISTIC: BOLD BY DESIGN
1. Distinctively offbeat
With a distinctive design, New C3 offers freshness, energy and personality that is unique to the supermini market. The striking new front-end gives a powerful impression of robustness, which continues along the body of the car, with fluid curves and muscular flanks lending vigour and power.
New C3 features the two-tier front light signature synonymous with Citroën. Double chrome strips extend from the chevrons and go all the way across to the LED daytime running lights. The protective front bumper blends into the rest of the bodywork to enhance the sense of height and width at the front for a ‘go-anywhere’ look and feel. The fog lights even feature stylish coloured surrounds.
In profile, the black windscreen pillars and floating roof accentuate the dynamic outline of New C3. The car’s protective character is evident in the balanced proportions between the body panels and the glazed areas. The horizontal styling features on the sides of the car continue the deliberately high bonnet line, producing a reassuring posture, and the wheel arches are fitted with extensions for a crossover appearance. At the rear, the generously sized, muscular wings give the car a dynamic appearance, an impression accentuated by the very short overhang.
The Airbump® panels (air-filled bumps with a scratch-proof surface, as seen on C4 Cactus) are a Citroën signature feature, offering personality and style, as well as protecting the vehicle. The thermoplastic polyurethane material used in the Airbump® panels resists everyday degradation, protecting them from sunlight, water, scratches etc. Each panel positions a line of air-filled bumps at the bottom of the doors to protect the most vulnerable areas of the car in the urban environment. The Airbump® panels also have a white or red graphic motif, depending on the version.
The unique, high-tech identity of New C3 continues at the back with 3D rear lights, low level protection to lend everyday robustness and an updated C3 badge – now, the figure 3 appears in black with a chrome surround.
Aerodynamically, the roof is 4cm lower than the previous model with every surface designed to optimise airflow.
2. A spacious interior designed as a living area
Citroën’s designers drew inspiration from travel and home interior design to create an interior that aims to feel like an extension of the driver’s home. Offering a safe, contemporary and comfortable cabin, New C3’s interior design principles focus on delivering uncluttered space.
The perception of space is heightened by the horizontal dashboard, which runs across the whole width of the vehicle. The design of the interior trim and the shape of the chrome-finished air vents also combine to enhance the perception of width.
The customer has a choice of finishes inside the cabin. Some elements can be painted, wrapped with textile or TEP lining (with or without over-stitching) and finished with chrome or coloured touches. The finish is always designed to perfectly match the seat material.
The seats, integral to on-board wellbeing, have a uniquely wide and generous design, which amplifies the impression of space and comfort. This is further enhanced by the use of bright, warm materials.
3. New levels of customisation for a B-segment model
New C3 is the first model of its type to offer such an extensive and coherent range of personalisation options and two-tone exterior colour schemes.
With a total of nine body colours (Polar White, Perla Nera Black, Shark Grey, Arctic Steel, Ruby Red, Almond Green, Cobalt Blue, Power Orange and Soft Sand) and three roof colours (Opal White, Onyx Black and Sport Red), there are a total of 36 possible combinations, giving New C3 a fresh, modern look.
The exterior offers a range of two-tone paint options, with the three roof colours accompanied by matching touches around the car (fog lights, door mirrors, rear quarter panels and on the Airbump® panels).
The customer can select from four possible interior designs. These are;
- Standard Ambience – uncluttered and neutral with yellow over-stitched upholstery.
- Metropolitan Grey Ambience – a warm and bright alternative, with soft colours and textiles, on the dashboard trim as well as the seat upholstery.
- Urban Red Ambience – a combination of dark and bright colours. The dashboard trim features red over-stitching and a red dashboard surround.
- Hype Colorado Ambience – features soft upmarket materials and special upholstery for a colour-contrast effect, and a two-tone leather-covered steering wheel.
HUMAN: ON-BOARD WELL-BEING
The Citroën Advanced Comfort® programme was influential in the design of New C3, to offer drivers and passengers a feeling of well-being.
1. An overriding emphasis on driver and passenger well-being
The emphasis on well-being starts with the comfortable seats, the panoramic sunroof that fills the car with natural light, and the generous space and storage compartments throughout the cabin. The clutter-free interior delivers a sense of harmony, which is also expressed with the soft and bright textiles used throughout the interior.
For physical comfort, there is 2cm more shoulder width than in the previous model and the shape and position of the front seats provides optimum forward visibility for the rear passengers.
New C3’s seats provide generous width, lumbar support and comfort to help cushion the impact of uneven road surfaces.
Particularly agile thanks to its 10.7m turning circle, the 5-door, 5-seat New C3 measures just 3.99m long.
2. Advanced ergonomics for a smooth driving experience
New C3 offers a hassle-free user experience, with easy, intuitive access to all main the vehicle functions. Under the Citroën Advanced Comfort® programme, New C3 promises great everyday practicality, usability andspaciousness.
The designers paid special attention to the car’s storage and stowage spaces. For example, there is an ingenious central cubby that maximises the free space at the front of the vehicle, along with large storage bins in the front doors and the largest glove box in the segment – all to deliver optimum functionality without compromising the simplicity of the interior. The New Citroën C3’s boot volume is also impressive at 300 litres.
A pleasant driving experience calls for an intuitive, interactive and responsive interface between the car and the driver, which New C3 offers through its 7-inch touchscreen. Acting as a vehicle control panel, this provides quick and easy access to all of the vehicle’s main functions and makes for an uncluttered dashboard.
Convenience continues with the car’s keyless entry and start system, which means the driver can lock or unlock and start the car without needing to take the key out of their pocket or bag.
SMART: UP-TO-THE-MINUTE TECHNOLOGIES
1. ConnectedCAM Citroën™
The ConnectedCAM Citroën™ is making its first appearance in New C3. It is a connected camera (wide 120° angle, full HD, 2 million pixels) with GPS and a 16GB internal memory. Positioned just behind the rear-view mirror, it records what the driver sees for two main purposes;
1. The driver can click a button to safely take photos as keepsakes or for instant sharing on social media. A longer press of the button captures video for up to 20 seconds, which can then be shared once the car is stationary. Stored content is directly accessible via the ConnectedCAM Citroën™ free app.
2. In the event of a vehicle collision, the video system switches on automatically. The video can run for up to 1½ minutes (30 seconds before and 60 after the incident). This footage can be useful as evidence following an accident.
With the ConnectedCAM Citroën™, a driver can also locate their vehicle and store its position to ensure they can find it in unfamiliar or busy places.
2. A wealth of useful technologies
The PSA Group platform was optimised for this new model, to deliver an excellent external footprint/interior space ratio, and superb levels of comfort and efficiency.
For comfort, an advanced suspension system was used, based on a proven architecture (pseudo Macpherson suspension with deformable struts). This effectively filters out road surface irregularities – a typical Citroën suspension characteristic. Soundproofing is impressive too, as is safety, with features such as a new ‘H’ crossbar under the seats, for the best possible impact protection.
New C3 comes with a choice of latest-generation, highly efficient PureTech petrol and BlueHDi Diesel engines. There is a choice of three PureTech three-cylinder petrol engines, with manual transmission: PureTech 68, 82 and 110 (Stop & Start), and two manual Diesel powertrains: BlueHDi 75 (Stop & Start) and 100 (Stop & Start).
For the ultimate in driveability and comfort, New C3 also adds the option of the brand’s EAT6 fully automatic gearbox.
New C3 is packed with useful driving aids and safety technologies to enhance the journey and improve the driving experience.
- Citroën Connect Nav (via the 7-inch touchscreen)is a new-generation connected satnav system that can be controlled by voice or touch from the 7-inch screen. It ties in with connected services such as TomTom Traffic for real-time traffic information, geolocation and price details for service stations and carparks, weather forecasts, and information on local points of interest. There is also an optional ‘danger zones’ function that provides visual and audible warnings of accident black spots in real time.
- Mirror Screen technology duplicates smartphone content directly onto the 7-inch touchscreen. Here, the driver can access their multimedia content by touch or voice recognition. Available with Apple CarPlay™, Android Auto (available early 2017) and MirrorLink®.
- The reversing camera, complete with parking aids, switches on automatically whenever reverse gear is selected, to provide visibility and positioning lines via the 7-inch touchscreen.
- Hill-Start Assist holds the car for two seconds on gradients of steeper than three percent once the brake pedal is released, to help the driver pull away safely.
Technologies for safety:
- The Lane Departure Warning System helps guard against driver fatigue and momentary inattention. If the car crosses into another lane without the indicator being activated, the system will issue a visual and audible warning.
- The Blind-Spot Monitoring System detects the presence of any vehicles in the driver’s blind spots. Warnings are shown using indicators built into the wing mirrors.
- Driver Attention Alert warns the driver when it is time to take a break – i.e. after two hours’ uninterrupted driving at speeds above 45mph, then every hour thereafter.
- Citroën Connect Box with SOS and Assistance Pack puts the driver in touch with a specialist assistance service. In the event of an accident, a short message is sent in manual or automatic mode via GSM to a call processing service. The message includes the vehicle’s identification, the driver’s phone number and precise geographical location details.
- Services available through Citroën Connect Packs (requiring the Citroën Connect Box with SOS and Assistance). There are three different levels available; Monitoring pack (free), which includes a virtual service log and eco-driving advice; Mapping pack (optional), for geolocating the vehicle; and the Tracking pack (optional), which maximises the chance of finding the vehicle if it has been stolen.
Length: 3.99 metres
Width: 1.75 metres
Height: 1.47 metres
Wheelbase: 2.54 metres
Boot volume: 300 litres