YouTube user "Shmee150" has managed to capture footage with the Ford GT on display in Detroit during the 2015 North American International Auto Show.

YouTube user "Shmee150" has managed to capture footage with the Ford GT on display in Detroit during the 2015 North American International Auto Show.

Out of nowhere, Ford unleashed a new GT in Detroit this week and grabbed some of the NSX's spotlight, a model which has been in the making for a very long time. Unlike Honda/Acura, Ford decided to skip the teasing game and just show a near-production model which is set to reach the assembly line towards the end of 2016. The design of the show car has 95 percent of the final styling while the other 5 percent subject to changes will be the side mirrors (set to get bigger), along with slightly revised graphics of the headlights & taillights and other small tweaks.

Its heart and soul is a newly developed V6 twin-turbo engine from the EcoBoost family although it's a bit of a stretch to use this designation taking into account the motor delivers more than 600 bhp (447 kW) so it can't be that "eco." The mid-mounted motor works with a 7-speed dual-clutch transaxle gearbox to send power to the rear axle and Ford promises "near-instantaneous gear changes."

Performance numbers have not been revealed but the Blue Oval company says their new GT will "exhibit one of the best power-to-weigh ratios of any production car" but there are slim chances of achieving what Koenigsegg has done with the mesmerizing One:1.

When asked about the car's price tag, Ford executives didn't reveal an exact figure but did point to the Lamborghini Huracan ($237,000) , Ferrari 458 Speciale ($298,000) and McLaren 650S ($265,000) as being indicative of the GT's price so some are now estimating a starting price of $250,000 which would make it $110,000 more expensive than its predecessor.

Up close and personal video with Ford GT in Detroit