Fiat has announced production of the 500L has been stopped at the factory in Kragujevac, Serbia.

Fiat has announced production of the 500L has been stopped at the factory in Kragujevac, Serbia.

The Fiat 500 Large has never been a sales success ever since the first unit left the assembly line back in July 2012 and it seems the problems are quite serious as the Italian marque has decided to halt production at the plant located in Kragujevac, Serbia. Fiat hasn't said for how long but local media suggests a September 5 - 9 period.

In a statement made yesterday, Fiat said "the causes of this temporary setback are external and related to situation in the European and global automotive markets." The firm's Kragujevac factory is a result of a one billion EUR joint venture in which Fiat has a 67 percent stake while the Serbian state owns the remaining 33 percent stake.

The increasingly unpopular compact MPV segment has also affected Ford's B-MAX produced in Romania. Last year, the Blue Oval company stopped assembly for around 35 days and so far this year B-MAX production was halted for approximately 30 days. Ford recently announced assembly will stop once again for nine days this month at the plant in Craiova where they also make 1.0- and 1.5-liter EcoBoost engines which will also be affected by the recent stoppage decision.

Be part of something big

Fiat 500L production halted due to weak demand