Mercedes-Benz USA President Steve Cannon has tweeted pictures of the 2014 GLA and S-Class Coupe undergoing testing in Death Valley.
The executive didn't have much to say about the models but confirmed the CL replacement will be called the S-Class Coupe and said "It's amazing!"
Speaking of the S-Class Coupe, it will feature a sleek design with soft curves and gently flowing surfaces. Engine options are expected to include:
- A twin-turbo 3.0-liter V6 engine with 333 HP (245 kW) and 480 Nm (354 lb-ft) of torque
- A 4.7-liter V8 that produces 455 HP (335 kW) and 700 Nm (516 lb-ft) of torque
- A twin-turbo 5.5-liter V8 with 585 bhp (436 kW) and 900 Nm (664 lb-ft)
The GLA, on the other hand, will be an entry-level crossover that battles the Audi Q3 and BMW X1. It will likely be offered with a variety of familiar engines including:
- A 1.8-liter diesel with 134 HP (100 kW) and 300 Nm (221 lb-ft) of torque
- A 2.1-liter diesel with 168 HP (125 kW) and 350 Nm (258 lb-ft) of torque
- A 1.6-liter petrol with outputs of 120 HP (90 kW) and 154 HP (115 kW)
- A 2.0-liter petrol with 207 HP (155 kW) and 350 Nm (258 lb-ft) of torque