Sergio Perez has ruled out switching to Ferrari this season to replace Felipe Massa. It is suggested the famous Italian team is growing increasingly impatient with struggling Brazilian Massa's poor ...
It is suggested the famous Italian team is growing increasingly impatient with struggling Brazilian Massa's poor form.
"I think all this hype about a possible switch is massively blown up by the media," Perez told F1's official website.
"Should that situation really come about I would reject it as I would not want to make a switch in the middle of a season."
Nonetheless, 22-year-old Perez is the obvious favourite, as the cream of Ferrari's driver development programme and already powered by the Maranello team's engines at Sauber.
"I think that people should not mix up engines and drivers," he insisted.
The denials, however, are unlikely to dampen the rumours, with Massa under increasing pressure to perform -- and some saying Monaco could be his last chance.
"I hope this weekend is where one can consider that my 2012 championship will begin," the Brazilian said on Wednesday.
"I have had a few difficult times in my career and maybe the start to this season has been the most difficult so far.
"I have had to deal with the technical side of the problem, but also it causes a mental side, as it is not easy to deal with this situation. But if you fix one, then it is easier to fix the other," added Massa in Monaco.
Perez tipped him to bounce back.
"He (Massa) is a strong driver and he has a great team behind him. Once he's bounced back all these stories will die at once," he said.