We have the first photos, sketches, and details of the Porsche Panamera S racecar set to take the Superstar race series by storm.
The blog of automotive designer Jon Sibal has a story about a new Porsche Panamera S racecar. Built by N.Technology and Porsche Racing, the car has been under construction since February.
The car features an aluminum space frame to help keep its weight to 1,320kg (2910 lbs), 550 kilograms (1212 lbs) less than the stock Panamera. It uses a 4.8-liter V8 engine that produces 450 hp (336 kW / 456 PS), 50 hp (37 kW / 51 PS) more than the Panamera S, but 50 hp less than the Panamera Turbo.
Engineers are building the car to fit the regulations for the Italian-based Superstar racing series. The car was first tested on the track last month in preparation for its race debut at Hockenheim, Germany, on June 13.
Driving the car for N.Technology will be Fabrizio Giovanardi. The 44-year-old Italian driver has won eight touring car titles, including back-to-back British Touring Car Championships in 2007 and 2008 and the 2002 European Touring Car Championship. He is currently under contract with Triple 8 Racing for the 2010 BTCC series.
Full specs on the car:
- Chassis: Steel frame with aluminum components
- Engine: V8, front
- Capacity: 4.8 litres, 4 valves per cylinders
- Power: 450hp
- Intake: Single throttle
- Traction: Rear wheel drive
- Friction: Carbon double discs diameter 184 mm
- Gearbox/transmission: 6 gear sequential, self locking ramps and plates differential
- Brakes: Front 355×35 disc, with 6 pots caliper, Rear 330×32 disc, with 4 pots caliper
- Steering: Pinion and rack
- Suspensions: Front double wishbone with 3 ways adjustable dampers, rear four rods multilink with 3 ways adjustable dampers
- Wheels: Magnesium wheels 10,5×18
- Tires: Michelin 27/68-18
- Aerodynamics: Front splitter, front and rear widened fenders, Rear wing (single supplier of the same element for all cars)
- Weight: 1,320kg