F1 on Wednesday was left reeling from the loss of Toyota, but it was the best possible news for those at Sauber's Hinwil headquarters.

F1 on Wednesday was left reeling from the loss of Toyota, but it was the best possible news for those at Sauber's Hinwil headquarters.

The collapse of a confirmed team for 2010 opens the door for the newly Qadbak-owned outfit in the wake of BMW's departure.

"We will be discussing the effect (of Toyota's departure) for the BMW-Sauber team with the FIA," team boss Mario Theissen is quoted as saying by the news agency SID.

However, Wednesday's turn of events is potentially devastating for the hundreds of people who work at Toyota's Cologne base.

"Of course it's really bad for the 600 people who work there," said Sebastian Vettel at the Race of Champions event in Beijing, according to Bild newspaper.

"The question is what happens now with them? I hope that an investor turns up who can buy the team," the German driver added.

Selling the team was mentioned as an option earlier on Wednesday, but it is believed that John Howett has played down that possibility.

Instead, Toyota Motorsport GmbH could live on with another project for the Japanese manufacturer; perhaps Le Mans.

"Toyota Motor Corporation will race in various categories," the carmaker said without elaborating.

 

Be part of something big

Theissen to 'discuss' 2010 vacancy with FIA