"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" - that must have been on Dacia's mind when drawing the new Duster.
On sale since 2010, the first-generation Dacia Duster is now getting ready for a well-deserved retirement considering it represents the brand’s best-selling model with more than one million units sold during its seven-year life cycle. Ahead of a full debut scheduled to take place at the Frankfurt Motor Show, the Renault-owned budged brand from Romania has decided to publish revealing images of its new-for-2018 pocket-friendly SUV.
As evidenced by the numerous spy shots posted in recent months, the exterior design is an evolution of the outgoing model. Shown in a new striking Atacama Orange shade, the 2018 Duster builds upon the robust yet modern looks of the model before it, but with some effective changes here and there. We specifically like the Renegade-ish taillights lending the affordable SUV a high-tech appearance when viewed from behind.
The front fascia hasn’t gone through any substantial changes as it’s more of an update of the old version rather than an entirely new design. Dacia has made the headlights wider and has also modified the front bumper by installing a silver skid plate that sort of looks like a bullbar and is made from a special type of scratch-resistant plastic.
Other changes include black wing arch trims, aluminum roof bars, and a fresh 17-inch alloy wheel design. Dacia has tweaked the beltline by moving it slightly upwards and they also brought the windscreen forward by 10 centimeters (4 inches), thus making it more steeply raked.
Images of the cabin have not been released, but we’ve been told this is where most of the changes have occurred for the second generation. The interior will be revealed on September 12 at IAA where the company will also detail the Duster’s technical specifications. As far as the rumored seven-seat version is concerned, an extended-wheelbase model has already been ruled out by officials.
Gallery: 2018 Dacia Duster
All-new Dacia Duster: more Duster than ever!
At a glance:
- All-new modern, attractive and robust exterior styling.
- More than one million Dacia Dusters already sold worldwide.
- A completely redesigned interior, new equipment and a host of other new features to be revealed at the 2017 Frankfurt Motor Show.
- All-new Duster will be unveiled at a press conference at the 2017 Frankfurt Show at 11:10 am local time on September 12.
Boulogne-Billancourt, August 30, 2017 – Dacia has renewed Duster, the brand’s iconic SUV which boasts modern, all-new robust styling. Not only is All-New Duster as versatile as ever but it is also even more attractive and, with more than one million unit sales to its credit to date, a new chapter in the model’s history is about to begin. Dacia will unveil All-new Duster at the 2017 Frankfurt Show.
All-new Duster’s adventurer pedigree and ability to stray off the beaten track are expressed by the latest version’s updated design. In keeping with the model’s DNA, All-new Duster combines robust, muscular styling with a truly assertive personality that is emphasised by a brand-new body colour, Atacama Orange.
- All-new Duster’s distinctive grille extends to the head lights positioned at the car’s extreme corners and makes the model appear wider.
- A new lighting signature including LED daytime running lights divided into three sections.
- The crease lines of the horizontal bonnet contribute to the vehicle’s assertive stance.
- The larger, mass-coloured, satin-chrome-finish skid plate reinforces the car’s adventurer credentials and is scratch-resistant to maintain its smart look.
- The higher belt line adds to the impression of strength and occupant protection.
- The windscreen has been brought forward 100mm compared with the current Duster and is more steeply raked, which makes the cabin longer so it looks more spacious.
- The new aluminium roof bars, a frequent SUV hallmark, extend the line of the windscreen for a more dynamic profile.
- 17-inch wheels and prominent wheel arches.
- Black wing arch trims highlight the car’s adventurer credentials.
- Voluminous haunches.
- Horizontal lines and lights positioned at the extreme corners to heighten the car’s solid stance.
- Dacia’s rear lighting signature – four red stacked squares – has been adapted for Duster.
- Wider, mass-coloured, satin-chrome-finish rear skid plate.
All-new Duster also features upgraded travelling comfort thanks to a completely redesigned, quality-feel interior and new equipment.