While most Apple CarPlay and Android Auto users are forced to settle with either Apple Maps or Google Maps, the much-loved alternative Waze has come up with a solution for the latter. Users can now access the Waze app on Android Auto, allowing drivers to use their preferred maps app on their vehicle’s infotainment screen.
According to Engadget, the Android Auto version of Waze is "less cluttered" than the standard smartphone version. Part of that sleek overhaul can be contributed in part to regulation from automakers pushing for simplified interfaces. Features like the ability to share traffic information, police presence, and crashes remains, all with the luxury not having to deal with ads.
Waze for Android Auto can also be controlled using the voice command "OK, Google," to input addresses and destinations. Users also receive visual and audio alerts while on the road, and larger map views allow for clarity of features like alters, hazers, and more. Features like carpooling, beeping at other Waze users, gas prices, and map chat, though, are gone.
For now, Waze will be available only to Android Auto users, with no scheduled release for Apple CarPlay. Apple still limits the use of third-party apps on its in-car system. If Apple CarPlay is your in-car system of choice, though, Alpine recently launched the first touchscreen system that connects to CarPlay wirelessly. The Apline system debuted at CES and won an Innovations Award for outstanding design and engineering. Hopefully that sleek new system eases the pain of having to use Apple Maps.
Source: Waze, Engadget
Gallery: Waze Android Auto
You asked, we heard you, and it's official: as of today, July, 26, 2017, Waze is available for Android Auto.
That's right—you can now navigate with Waze via your vehicle's in-car display, touch screens, steering wheel buttons, and other console-mounted controls. All it takes is connecting your Android phone to the USB port in a car that supports Android Auto.
The power of the Waze Community—the world's largest driving community—will be right there in the car with you (or at least on your screen). So you'll not only find the fastest routes and most up-to-date road alerts, you'll also be able to:
- Navigate to all your most frequented destinations as pre-programmed in your Waze app in one tap—we're talking home, work and your Waze favorites.
- Start any drive using voice command "OK, Google" to tell Waze your destination and get on the road even quicker.
- Receive visual and audio alerts to keep you informed of what's ahead and find the fastest routes. Bonus: you'll enjoy a larger map with bigger views of alerts, hazers and more.
- Access your personalized Waze experience from your phone on your car's bigger screen.
- Easily view your ETA Panel, which organizes everything you need in one place so you can seamlessly check alternate routes and adjust your sound settings.
- Help other Wazers on the road through a visual reporting menu.