The Golf R's show without its extra go.
Volkswagen is sprucing up its recently facelifted Golf with a new optional R-Line package tailored to both the hatchback and the wagon. The equipment caters those who are fond of the range-topping R model, but don’t want to pay the premium that comes with the go-faster version and are willing to settle with a lookalike lacking the extra grunt.
Starting with the exterior, the R-Line kit adds slightly sportier front and rear bumpers as well as sill extensions finished in glossy black. A new rear spoiler with aero flaps is exclusive to the package, as is the diffuser at the back flanked by trapezoidal exhaust tips featuring a chrome finish. Rounding off the upgrades on the outside are the compulsory R-Line badges visible on the front fenders and on the grille.
Stepping inside the cabin, the facelifted compact model from Wolfsburg in the R-Line guise has stainless steel door sill panels, pedal caps, and foot rest. The cars come with a black roofline and sport seats that can be optionally covered in leather at an additional cost. Also part of the deal are decorative inlays, a sportier steering wheel (with the R-Line badge), and contrast stitching for the gear shifter and floor mats. An R-Line logo on the display start screen will serve as a reminder that you’re not driving a run-of-the-mill Golf.
The good news is VW is not forcing buyers to buy both the exterior and interior upgrades as customers can get the R-Line treatment just for the body, should they not want to order the full package. The exterior kit costs €1,295 in Germany for a Golf in the Comfortline trim or €1,105 for the upper-spec Highline model. For the whole shebang, it’s going to set you back €2,295 for the lower-spec version and €1,800 for the more expensive model.
VW is already taking orders for the R-Line kit and is giving buyers the opportunity to choose from “Singapore” and “Marseille” alloy wheels available in 17- and 18-inch sizes.
VW Golf facelift with R-Line package
The new Golf R-Line and Golf Variant R-Line
- Sporty equipment packages available for the new Golf and Golf Variant
Buyers of the new Golf who want to upgrade to sportier features can now order the new R-Line packages.
Along with an exterior package, which consists of distinctive front and rear body modifications, there is also an extensive R-Line package. It contains features of the exterior package, alloy wheels and, in addition, sophisticated interior accents. An overview of the packages:
R-Line exterior package
- R-Line front bumper with air intake screens in high-gloss black and unique honeycomb structure, C signature in high-gloss black
- Rear bumper with R-Line specific diffuser and trapezoidal chrome trims
- Sill extensions in high-gloss black
- Package-specific rear spoiler with aero flaps
- R-Line badges on radiator grille and side panels
- Features of the R-Line exterior package
- R-Line sport seats in "Carbon Flag/San Remo" design, or optionally upholstered in "Vienna" leather (perforated) in Black-Crystal Grey
- Multifunction sport steering wheel, leather-wrapped with contrasting stitching, and R-Line badge
- Decorative "Dark Diamond Flag" inlays
- Gear shift boot and floor mats feature contrasting stitching
- Stainless steel door sill panels, pedal caps and foot rest
- Black rooflining
- R-Line logo on display start screen
- Wheels (selection): 17 or 18-inch "Sebring" alloy wheels
17-inch "Singapore" alloy wheels, 18-inch "Marseille" alloy wheels
Equipment packages are available now for both models. Customers who require only the sporty look for the bodywork will want to select the exterior package from a price of €1,105 (Highline) or €1,295 (Comfortline). The equipment package for interior and exterior costs €1,800 (Highline) or €2,295 (Comfortline).