The new dCi diesel engine pumps out a whopping 165 horsepower.
Renault has gone and done it again this time. The new Megane GT hatchback can now be optioned with a dCi 165 biturbo diesel engine that makes – wait for it – a whopping 165 horsepower (123 kilowatts). Joking aside, it is quite the addition to the range, accenting the 200-horsepower (149-kilowatt) gas option and offering a still powerful, but more efficient alternative – even if it is the last diesel engine the company makes.
Like the standard GT, the new engine will come paired to s six-speed automatic gearbox and 4Control four-wheel steering that adjusts the turn-in angle of the rear wheels and improves stability and maneuverability, so says the company. The spring and damper settings have also been adjust by the Renault Sport team to further prove its hot hatch personality.
The new engine returns the aforementioned 165 horsepower (123 kilowatts) and a combined 50 mpg on the U.S. scale (60 mpg U.K.), an improvement over the gas-powered version’s 30 mpg on the U.S. scale (36 mpg U.K.). It builds upon the dCi 160 engine already available in the Espace and Talisman, and introduces even more power and efficiency to the mix.
Along with features like four-wheel steering and a stiffer suspension, buyers should also be happy with the redesigned air intakes, honeycomb grille, and gunmetal rear diffuser. If you’re looking to really show off the car’s sporty implications, the optional GT-Line Full Exterior Pack adds dark charcoal sport seats with integrated headrests, and a perforated leather-trimmed steering wheel.
Renault is currently taking orders for the new Megane GT and Megane GT Estate with the new engine option ticked, with prices starting at €34,300 for the hatchback, and €35,200 for the most spacious estate. The standard gas-powered version, meanwhile, is cheaper still with a starting price of €32,200 for the hatchback, and €33,100 for the estate.
2016 Renault Megane GT
The MEGANE GT and MEGANE GT Estate can now be specified with the new ENERGY dCi 165 engine mated to six-speed EDC automatic transmission.
The combination of the MEGANE GT’s Renault Sport breeding and 4CONTROL chassis with four-wheel steering ensures incomparable driving enjoyment for a car in this segment. The same technology has already contributed to the success of the TCe-powered versions of the MEGANE GT and MEGANE GT Estate.
Order books for the two new versions open in France on December 6, with cars due to arrive in showrooms in January 2017.
The ENERGY dCi 165 engine: high performance
The twin-turbo ENERGY dCi 165 engine has been specifically tuned by Renault Sport whose engineers were tasked with recalibrating the dCi 160 available for the ESPACE and TALISMAN. The result is an additional five horsepower, while peak torque now stands at 380Nm from 1,750rpm.
The performance of the ENERGY dCi 165 enables drivers to make the very most of the cars’ Renault Sport-developed suspension and 4CONTROL chassis with four-wheel steering for a safe, yet dynamic experience on twisty roads. One hundred times per second, the 4CONTROL system calculates and adjusts the turn-in angle of the rear wheels to ensure stability at speed and manoeuvrability in slower situations.
A versatile sporty car for everyday motoring
The MEGANE GT is a particularly versatile sporty car that lends itself perfectly to everyday motoring, while ride comfort has been enhanced thanks to specific work on the spring and damper settings by Renault Sport.
The driving pleasure delivered by the ENERGY dCi 165 engine combines with NEDC combined-cycle fuel consumption of just 4.6 litres and 4.7 litres per 100km for the MEGANE GT and MEGANE GT Estate respectively.
Renault Sport breeding
The versions of the MEGANE GT and MEGANE GT Estate powered by the ENERGY dCi 165 engine are the latest additions to the model’s line-up which has already benefited from input from Renault Sport:
- The existing GT versions powered by the ENERGY TCe 205 mated to seven-speed EDC transmissions offer crisp mid-range acceleration and maximum torque of 280Nm from 2,400rpm.
- Specific Design Packs available for ZEN and INTENS versions:
- GT-Line Exterior Pack for ZEN versions: front and rear sport bumpers with Dark Metal air intakes and honeycomb grille pattern, extra-tinted rear glass, Dark Metal diffuser and chrome exhaust tail pipe, GT-Line badging and 17-inch Decaro alloy wheels.
- GT-Line Exterior Pack for INTENS versions: front and rear sport bumpers with Dark Metal air intakes and honeycomb grille pattern, extra-tinted rear glass, Dark Metal diffuser and chrome exhaust tail pipe, GT-Line badging and diamond-cut 18-inch Grand Tour alloy wheels.
- GT-Line Full Exterior Pack for INTENS versions: GT-line Exterior Pack + perforated leather-trimmed GT steering wheel with bigger thumb rests, sport seats with extra support, integrated head rests and Dark Charcoal cloth upholstery.