There are 43 bottles of Sriracha in the trunk of this 2017 Lexus IS 300. I don't get it, either. I've asked folks at Lexus why, and they all just kind of smile and shrug. "Why not?"
Look, it's easy to want to poke fun at a weird creation like this (I did, a lot, trust me), but upon further inspection, the one-off Sriracha Lexus IS proves to be really interesting. It's more than just a couple of badges and some shiny paint. There's a lot of stuff going on here, and the attention to detail is superb.
Stay with me.
- That paint. Lexus actually experimented with adding Sriracha to the paint itself, but instead came up with the metallic color you see here, complete with chili-like flakes.
- Custom Sriracha badges. On the back, “Sriracha” is written in the usual Lexus font, and there are smaller (stuck-on) badges with that iconic red rooster on the quarter panels.
- Hand-embroidered leather seats. Badging aplenty, with a pair of big red cocks on the headrests.
- There is actually Sriracha in the steering wheel. Well, kind of. Lexus says “a Sriracha-like liquid” was cast in resin, and formed into the shape of a steering wheel.
- The key fob has Sriracha in it. Really. We don’t have a picture, sadly, but the fob has a chili button that dispenses Sriracha from a nozzle on the fob. Thank God.
- There are driving mitts. Not gloves, mitts. You know, because Sriracha is so freaking hot.
It's certainly not for everyone, but hey, neither is Sriracha. And don't worry, Lexus isn't actually putting this into production, it's just a one-time thing meant to stir up a few reactions here at the Los Angeles Auto Show. It certainly grabbed our attention, after all. Be sure to read our earlier post for even more details.
Live Photos: Nathan Leach-Proffer / Motor1.com