- The new Ignis is a compact crossover designed to offer a stylish exterior along with versatile functionality that is convenient and easy to use.
- Its new styling features strong presence that skilfully blends a fresh new look with elements that remain true to its Suzuki heritage.
- Suzuki’s lightweight and highly rigid new-generation platform incorporates a newly designed suspension system that delivers excellent handling.
- The SHVS (Smart Hybrid Vehicle by Suzuki) system employed by the 1.2 DUALJET engine helps deliver powerful performance and excellent fuel economy.
Suzuki Motor Corporation today unveiled the Ignis at the Paris Motor Show as its new global compact crossover. The new Ignis wraps convenience and comfort in a stylish new exterior. It exudes Suzuki DNA from every pore, while at the same time introducing an entirely new design with unique character. In addition to its simple and iconic styling, this compact SUV offers the functionality and performance to provide confident driving in a wide variety of conditions. Sales are scheduled to begin in Europe in January 2017, after which the model will also be introduced in other markets.
1. Design and utility
In addition to its stylish exterior design, the Ignis features excellent visibility, an easy-to-drive size, a spacious cabin and ample luggage space, as well as a sense of confidence, even on rough roads. The development goal was to create purely iconic crossover styling that is undoubtedly Suzuki.
2. Fusing a “simple and iconic” design with Suzuki DNA
While inheriting design elements of the first-generation Cervo and first-generation Vitara, as well as the previous generation Swift, the Ignis introduces simple straight lines and curves that accentuate its distinct personality and appeal, and that leave a strong impression at first sight.
3. Powerful performance combined with excellent fuel economy
The Ignis adopts a larger percentage of lightweight and strong high-tensile steel, making it possible to reduce vehicle weight while still maintaining a high level of rigidity. Adding the SHVS mild hybrid system to this realises dynamic driving performance combined with excellent fuel efficiency.
4. Advanced safety equipment
Two stereo cameras monitor the distance between the vehicle and other objects, as well as the shape of those objects. This becomes the basis for the following three advanced safety functions: Dual Camera Brake Support (DCBS), lane departure warning, and weaving alert.
5. Display audio with navigation function
Support for various smartphone connectivity systems allows the driver to connect a smartphone and access compatible apps on the touch screen display. Inserting SD cards that contain map data also enables the use of the navigation function.
- Despite the compact size, its body shape conveys an impression of strength.
- While emphasising its personality, the cabin environment speaks of quality.
- Customers can choose from a selection of smart, advanced body colours in combination with matching interior colours*.
*The two interior accent colours are set in accordance with the selected body colour.
The impressive shape of the Ignis body begins with the distinctive front face that integrates the striking gaze of the LED headlamps and the strong lines of the front grille. It continues with the robust shoulders that suggest strength while the surface of the lower body exudes expressiveness. It is a simple design that at the same time presents a familiar, lovable expression. It also inherits the first-generation Cervo’s slit-like C-pillar design and the Swift’s distinctive blacked out A- and B-pillar design, as well as other distinctive Suzuki SUV design elements such as the fender garnish and clamshell bonnet. The resulting package carries Suzuki’s SUV heritage into a new era.
In addition to its simple yet unique design, the characteristic image of the Ignis is further enhanced by its interior ambiance. The round shape of its air-conditioning system’s panel and the advanced feel of its distinctive meter cluster design combine to give the cabin environment a futuristic look.
The sweeping horizontal line of the instrument panel uses materials with rich texture to create a design that conveys breadth and roominess. The orange and metallic titanium accent colours add an extra touch of quality to the cabin and help establish an active image that befits a crossover.
The new Ignis offers a rich lineup of 14 colour patterns, including three new body colours and the two-tone offerings. Two accent colours available for the interior match the body colours and enable drivers to choose the new Ignis that best suits their individual tastes.
- Body colours (total of 14 colours available)
- Three new colours
Flame Orange Pearl Metallic: Expresses a bright, strong image resembling the colour of heated metal.
Neon Blue Metallic: This luminous blue colour evokes an image of neon lighting.
Helios Gold Pearl Metallic: An energetic colour that conjures images of the sun shining in space.
- Six other colours
- Five two-tone colours (with a black roof)
- Interior colours
Two accent colours* further heighten the bold image of the black and white two-tone interior colour.
Orange accent (on the floor console and inside door grips)
Titanium accent (on the floor console and inside door grips)
*The accent colour is paired to match the choice of body colour.
- A roomy cabin with a sense of freedom and large-capacity luggage space
- A tall eye-point that provides excellent visibility
- Display audio with navigation function
Adopting Suzuki’s new-generation platform minimised the size of the engine room while maximising the space available for cabin occupants and luggage. Within its compact body size, Ignis features a roomy and comfortable cabin with space between occupants, ample headroom and legroom contributing to its relaxing environment.
Another feature is large-capacity luggage space of 267L*, (227L* for the ALLGRIP model). It also adopts sliding rear seat functionality that, combined with the ability to fold down the rear seatbacks, makes it possible to accommodate a wide variety of luggage.
* Measured using the German Association of the Automotive Industry (VDA) method, with the rear seatback fixed in the raised position.
The cabin features extremely convenient storage space. In addition to the two-section glove box design, there are bottle holders in the centre and rear consoles as well as in the front and rear doors. The overall design goal was to maximise the ease of everyday use.
With a tall 180mm of minimum ground clearance, the Ignis enhances driving performance on rough roads, while also enabling a seat position that provides clear visibility and makes driving easier. The tall seat position also contributes to the ease of entering and exiting the cabin.
Smartphone Linkage Display Audio (SLDA)
The audio incorporates a touch-panel display that is as intuitive as a smartphone. Connect your smartphone via Bluetooth® or USB cable to use compatible smartphone applications through the display, which is also equipped with radio, rear-view camera, and navigation* function.
- Android Auto extends the Android platform into the car in a way that's purpose-built for driving. It is designed to minimise distraction so you can focus on driving with Google™ services like Google Maps™, Google Search™.
- Apple CarPlay allows iPhone users to get directions optimized for traffic, make calls, send and receive messages, and listen to music, all in a way that allows you to stay focused on the road with Siri or a touch screen.
- MirrorLink lets various applications on your smartphone appear on the vehicle’s touchscreen display, allowing you to access your smartphone’s features.
Performance & Safety
- Achieves both powerful performance and excellent fuel economy.
- The new suspension provides excellent handling, and the new-generation platform contributes to roomier cabin space and better fuel economy.
- Adopts the latest safety technologies to mitigate damage caused by collisions.
A 1.2 DUALJET (K12C) petrol engine that delivers both powerful performance and excellent fuel economy powers the Ignis. This combines with the SHVS (Smart Hybrid Vehicle by Suzuki) mild hybrid system to realise even greater fuel efficiency.
SHVS (Smart Hybrid Vehicle by Suzuki) is a lightweight, compact mild hybrid system that uses an ISG (Integrated Starter Generator) with an integrated power generator and electric motor, and a lithium-ion battery pack. It is an optimum system for use in a compact car that leverages the electric motor’s torque assist and the system’s efficient power regeneration to realise better fuel economy.
Five-speed manual transmission: The adoption of a convergent locating system increases the sense of suction when shifting for lighter and better feeling shift action.
Five-speed AGS (Auto Gear Shift) transmission: Based on the five-speed manual transmission, Suzuki’s own automated manual transmission automatically performs the clutch and shift operations for the driver.
4WD (ALLGRIP AUTO)
The Ignis adopts Suzuki’s ALLGRIP AUTO viscous coupling four-wheel drive system. By automatically distributing drive torque to the front and rear wheels when it detects the front wheel losing its grip of the road, the system achieves fuel economy while maximising performance. ALLGRIP AUTO gives the driver peace of mind in everyday driving, especially when driving on slippery roads or snowy surfaces.
The suspension was newly designed to best match the new-generation platform. In addition to a lighter and stronger suspension, the suspension mounts, which are an important aspect of driving performance, have also been designed for increased rigidity.
The Ignis adopts Suzuki's Total Effective Control Technology (TECT) concept that provides a high level of collision safety. Some of the features include collapsible structures that absorb impact energy in the event of a collision, a frame structure that effectively disperses impact energy, and rigid cabin structure.
Other safety features include ESP® (Electronic Stability Program), which helps ensure stability while driving, along with front, side and curtain airbags to protect occupants in the event of a collision from the front or side.
As an additional safety feature, stereo cameras mounted on the vehicle function like human eyes, detecting lane markings as well as objects ahead and their distance away. Based on the size and shape of the object, the cameras can determine whether it is a pedestrian or another vehicle. These capabilities enable the inclusion of the following three advanced safety functions:
- Dual Camera Brake Support (DCBS): When travelling at vehicle speeds of 5km/h or above, the stereo cameras detect vehicles and pedestrians ahead, helping avoid collisions and mitigate collision damage through warnings and automatic braking.
- Lane departure warning function: When the vehicle is traveling at vehicle speeds of approximately 60km/h or above and is departing the lane without the driver using a turn signal, the system vibrates the steering wheel and lights a warning indicator on the meter panel to draw attention to lane departures caused by factors such as inattention to the road.
- Weaving alert function: When the vehicle is traveling at vehicle speeds of approximately 60km/h or above and is weaving from side to side within the lane, the system sounds a warning buzzer and lights an indicator on the meter panel. This draws the driver’s attention to weaving caused by drowsiness or other factors.