2014 LaFerrari leads the pack with $4,700,000.
Last week’s Mecum Daytime Auction in Monterey, California was a great venue to check out a plethora of hugely appealing cars go under the hammer for sums stretching well into seven figures. The most valuable of them all was a 2014 LaFerrari painted in Nero DS Opaco. One of the only three to come as standard in this color and driven for only 211 miles (339 kilometers), the sinister-looking supercar fetched $4,700,000, well above the auction house’s estimate of $3.9M to $4.5M.
On second place we find a 1966 Ford GT40 MkI, the very first road-going model that was delivered in North America. It was actually a Ford test and evaluation car initially, before serving as Ford North America’s official promotional GT40. The car was recently the subject of a thorough restoration and is almost entirely original, including the metallic chrome silver paint discovered underneath the blue & orange Gulf livery applied back in 1981 for a Gulf television ad. Despite being 50 years old, it has covered just 11,000 miles (17,702 km). The winning bid stood at $4.4M, within Mecum Auction’s estimate of $4M to $5M.
Yet another Ferrari managed to finish in the top three of the most expensive cars auctioned. It was a 2003 Enzo that had only one owner and just 2,050 miles (3,300 km) on the clock. The former prancing horse flagship was delivered new to Ferrari of San Francisco with a lovely Corsa Red exterior combined with a contrasting Nero interior cabin. The car is well-documented, including service records, copies of the original invoice and certificate of origin, window sticker, and it’s also included in the Ferrari Classiche Certification. It grabbed $3M at the auction, thus within the estimate of $2.5M to $3.5M.
Here is the full top ten of the cars that were sold at the 2016 Mecum Daytime Auction in Monterey, CA last week.
- 2014 Ferrari LaFerrari (Lot S110) at $4,700,000
- 1966 Ford GT40 MkI (Lot S103) at $4,400,000
- 2003 Ferrari Enzo (Lot S108.1) at $3,000,000
- 2014 McLaren P1 (Lot S81) at $1,850,000
- 2011 Ferrari 599 SA Aperta (Lot S82) at $1,050,000
- 2006 Bugatti Veyron 16.4 (Lot S91) at $1,000,000
- 1968 Lamborghini Miura P400 (Lot S77) at $790,000
- 2011 Ferrari 599 GTO (Lot S84) at $680,000
- 2004 Porsche Carrera GT (Lot S90) at $610,000
- 1932 Duesenberg Model J Phaeton (Lot S45) at $600,000
Source: Mecum Auctions