The drivers said following the qualifying that the Canadian Grand Prix was going to be a tricky affair and that was definitely evident at yesterday's race.
The drivers said following the qualifying that the Canadian Grand Prix was going to be a tricky affair and that was definitely evident at yesterday's race. Robert Kubica took the chequered flag to take his and BMW's maiden grand prix victory with team-mate Nick Heidfeld coming in behind him for a BMW 1-2 sparking wild celebrations for the German team.
But the real talking point of the race happened on lap 19, when Kimi Raikkonen had to stop at the end of the pitlane due to red light, but as he did an almost comical error by Lewis Hamilton saw the Mclaren smash into the back of the Ferrari forcing both drivers out of the race. The incident was then investigated by race officials which also saw Nico Rosberg run into the back of Hamilton and now both the Mclaren and Williams driver have received a ten place grid penalty for the next race in France.
The crash then left the BMW drivers fight it out amongst themselves for the chequered flag with the supreme driving skills of Kubica winning the day. In a surprise result the podium was completed by David Coulthard whose one-stop strategy proved to be a excellent decision.
The result now leaves Kubica leading the drivers championship with Massa and Hamilton in joint 2nd four points behind.
Canadian Grand Prix full result
1. Robert Kubica (Poland) BMW Sauber 1:36:24.447
2. Nick Heidfeld (Germany) BMW Sauber +00:16.495
3. David Coulthard (Britain) Red Bull 00:23.352
4. Timo Glock (Germany) Toyota 00:42.627
5. Felipe Massa (Brazil) Ferrari 00:43.934
6. Jarno Trulli (Italy) Toyota 00:47.775
7. Rubens Barrichello (Brazil) Honda 00:53.597
8. Sebastian Vettel (Germany) Toro Rosso 00:54.120
9. Heikki Kovalainen (Finland) McLaren 00:54.433
10. Nico Rosberg (Germany) Williams 00:57.749
11. Jenson Button (Britain) Honda 01:07.540
12. Mark Webber (Australia) Red Bull 01:11.229
13. Sebastien Bourdais (France) Toro Rosso 1 lap
r. Giancarlo Fisichella (Italy) Force India 19 laps
r. Kazuki Nakajima (Japan) Williams 24 laps
r. Fernando Alonso (Spain) Renault 26 laps
r. Nelson Piquet (Brazil) Renault 31 laps
r. Lewis Hamilton (Britain) McLaren 51 laps
r. Kimi Raikkonen (Finland) Ferrari 51 laps
r. Adrian Sutil (Germany) Force India 57 laps
(rank: r = retired, nc = not classified)
Fastest Lap: Kimi Raikkonen, 1:17.387, lap 14.